Basecamp
The All-In-One Toolkit for Working Remotely.
Founded in 1999
47 Employees

Basecamp employee benefits

Health Insurance
The company pays 75% of the premium and the employee pays the other 25%.
Life Insurance
Basecamp offers a $400,000 life insurance/AD+D policy to all employees through MetLife. It’s fully funded by Basecamp, so you pay nothing!.
Paid Time Off
Basecamp offers 18 days of paid time off plus 10 local national holidays every year.
30-day Paid Sabbatical
In addition to annual PTO and holidays, every three years employees are encouraged take a 30-day paid sabbatical. Just give a heads-up preferably three months in advance so we can coordinate the work-load accordingly.
Personal Leave
If you are under treatment or recovery for a serious medical condition and are unable to work for a week or more because of it, let us know and you can take four weeks off at 100% pay.
Pet Insurance
For your fur babies! Basecamp doesn’t contribute to this plan at all, but everyone gets a 10% discount on this insurance you might otherwise buy.
Summer Hours
During summer, we work 4-day work weeks, aka “summer hours”. Summer hours are in effect from May 1 through August 31 each year.
Family Leave
If you are the primary caregiver of a new child, you can take up to 16 weeks leave at 100% paid salary. If you are the secondary caregiver of a new child, you can take up to 6 weeks leave at 100% paid salary. You may also choose to take an additional 8 weeks leave unpaid as the primary or secondary caregiver. This time is meant for bonding with the new child and should commence from the date of birth or placement.
Bereavement Leave
When you lose a loved one, you can take paid time off from work for bereavement, making arrangements, settling family affairs, and attending the funeral or memorial service.
Retirement Plan
Our 401K for US employees is through Vanguard. Basecamp matches dollar-for-dollar up to 6% of your salary that you contribute to the plan. For instance, an employee who earns $100,000 can contribute any amount towards the 401K, however Basecamp will only match the first 6% or $6,000/year of those contributions. You are eligible to enroll in the 401K plan with your first paycheck. For international employees, Basecamp will also match 6% of your salary. In this case, Basecamp will pay the employee directly via invoice. It’s up to the employee to invest the money properly and maintain administration of the retirement account and its taxes. Basecamp will begin funding international employee retirement accounts on January 1, 2019.
Employee Liquidity Pool
If Basecamp is ever sold or part of an IPO, tenured employees will be eligible to receive a portion of 5% of the value of the company. That 5% would be divided into units, based on the number of employees we have at the time.
Fitness Allowance
Basecamp will pay up to $100/month for your gym membership, yoga studio membership, or whatever activity you do to stay in shape.
Wellness Allowance
Every month, you can expense up to $100 towards a service or experience that enhances your overall mental well-being. For some people that might mean a monthly massage. For others, that could be alternative medical treatments like acupuncture or reiki.
Continuing Education Allowance
If you’re interested in taking classes that you feel improve you professionally or personally, you have a $1,000 annual stipend to do so. This stipend is also prorated in your first year at Basecamp, depending on the month you start. Some people take classes directly related to their career, while some take photography lessons or learn a musical instrument.
Matching Charitable Gifts
Basecamp will make a matching gift to that charity on your behalf. Basecamp will match up to $2,000 per year, per employee. The first $500 you donate in a year, Basecamp will match 2-to-1. After that, Basecamp will match 1-to-1 for a total of $2000 in annual matches.
Basecamp Holiday Gift
Every year, at the end of the year, Basecamp generally gives a thank-you gift to the employees. Employees who have been at Basecamp for one year or less get one gift (last year: a “staycation” in their home towns), and longer tenured employees get a more elaborate gift (last year: a paid vacation).
Home Office Set-up
Since you work remotely, we want to make sure your home office is comfortable. You can expense up to $1,000 to furnish your home office, every three years.
Coworking Space Stipend
Basecamp will pay up to $200/month for you to use towards renting coworking space in your city. Please make sure you’re using a true coworking space that’s meant solely for working, not a club or social space.

How Basecamp works from home